Friday, January 06, 2006

Bet You Haven't Done This

So today was a holiday. I woke up around 10 and discovered that my milk was totally frozen solid. Since I couldn’t go to the store yesterday, all I had to eat was spaghetti and now dry muesli. So I had a few spoonfuls and then went to look for the laundry. Outside I met Béla, a Hungary who has been studying sports education here for a number of years. He showed me that not only was there a laundry room in the basement (free!), but also a small weight room, a tv room, and a billiards room. Very nice.

Today was scheduled a trip to the Sauna at Laajavouri, which is a big outdoor sports center – a couple downhill slopes, many miles of cross-country trails, a lake, a ski-jump, and a big sauna house. I have a picture or two of the place during the summer from the last time I was here. Anyway, at 12:30 I picked up the Greek boys and showed them the way to Laajavouri. There were about 30 people in our group at the sauna.



It was quite nice – first a jump in the lake (they had cut a hole in the ice) and then in to the hot sauna, then back into the water, etc. After that, we roasted some sausages over a fire. Quite nice! The dip in the ice water was much easier the second time. Somehow, being in the sauna actually makes the water seem not so painful, though common sense would say that it should seem even colder when coming from a hot room. I think it’s because my core body temp was already kind of low after 45 minutes of walking – the sauna probably raised it back up. Anyway, it was really nice and very relaxing. So I just got home and will be meeting some folks for a drink tonight around 9 in the city center. In the meantime, I guess I should eat ANOTHER bowl of spaghetti – the milk has soured in the defrosting process. Tomorrow first thing I’ll go to the store.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home