Monday, January 09, 2006

Awww! The First Day of School

So today was the first day of school. Well, not really, since I didn't have any class or anything. I did get set up with an office, which is quite nice. I share it with another grad student, Maati, who studies probability type stuff. He seems quite nice. I talked to Pekka a little bit and he outlined the problem we're going to work on. See my math blog for details. I ate lunch, created this blog, and did some email. After that, I ran in to Tim and we went to get some food. On the way to the city center, we ran into one of the Finnish "tutors" who are employed by the international center to make sure we don't get kidnapped or something. Anyway, she suggested a place called "Soppa Baari" or soup bar. There were four items on the menu, each 6€: three soups and one pasta dish. I had fish soup, mostly because I would never have fish soup in a restaurant in Michigan. It was SO GOOD. It was like soup you would get in a fancy restaurant in the states. SO YUMMY. It was really creamy with parsely, lots of dill, and tons of lemon. I'm definitely going back there.

Afterwards, I headed back to the office and did some work for a while. Then home, some small dinner, and sleep. That was about it. Nothing exciting. It was really grey and cloudy today, so I didn't take any pictures. Sorry.

Still no substantial contact with Sammi (my roommate). Hmmm. I'm going to have to do something about that or else it's going to be a long, awkward semester.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home