Friday, March 24, 2006

Birthday, Lapland, Helsinki, Zorn

So tomorrow is my birthday. As JessRo (a friend from Michigan) pointed out, this is the only time in my life that I'll be 24 on the 24th and 25 on the 25th. I guess that makes me old enough to snore loudly on trains with out feeling embarassed.

I'm throwing a little shindig to celebrate - just a few friends and some chocolate. You know the drill. Show up at 8 and watch the calorie count grow..."Dude, I am SOOOO buzzed right now, pass the 70% cocoa!"

Tomorrow I'm going to Lapland for a few days with 49 other international students. Of these 44 are women. It's going to be interesting. Plans: see the northern lights, go inside a building made entirely of ice, spend alot of time in the sauna, and try not to say anything even remotely misogynist.

I return on Tuesday night. Wednesday will be lots of math, and then Thursday is off to Helsinki to do more math. Steffen Rhode (from Seattle) will be there until Friday, and I'll get to talk with Kari Astala and his student Saara. Should be great! I'll be in Helsinki for about a week. The U of Helsinki folks have been SUPER nice to me in getting this set up. KIITOS!

Ok, I have to go or i'll be late for my party. Maybe I'll write more afterwards and include some photos!

Miss you all!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We threw a party here last night because Frances is leaving today. I'm sorry you missed it because it could have been a birthday party for you too. (Although we didn't eat chocolate... we had brie and manchego.)

Have fun in the ice house with the ladies!

Hannah

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Kevin, it's a day late i know, sorry...but we drank a bottle of champagne in our new place and cheers to your birthday in a cold place....So Kaya had puppy dogs, 5 pure husky dogs, and they are almost ready to go to good homes. I fell about a month ago and tore the miniscus and possibly the acl too, the mri was inconclusive in regards to the connection. It's going to require lifelong physical therapy exercises and surgery in the next couple months once it's strong enough to endure. Bummer huh. I was playing hoops at the gym and they had just resurfaced the floor so it was sticky. So I'm thinking of selling my house in florida and recouperating comfortably and then find work that suits my condition. I would have cash to invest in a hot food cart where i cook, or some other business idea. Anyway, things are well, and it's good to hear you'll be visiting this summer.
Happy Choco Eating
Brian

12:29 PM  
Blogger Michael K. said...

Happy belated birthday, Kevin! It seems to be the time of year for birthdays - I was just at a party for a friend of mine last night, of which you can discover the inglorious outcome when you check out my blog.

Ah, 25: such a nice, solid, real number. The sturdy and reliable square of 5, and the sum of the squares of 3 and 4! Many congrats on reaching this geometric milestone, and forgive this particular humanities dork for indulging in mathematical dorkitude when it's really not called for. (I've got a hangover.)

1:59 PM  
Blogger Toby said...

Happy birthday from me too. Hmmm chocolate..

9:45 PM  
Blogger janus said...

dear god. you're only twenty-five? i can't quite place why it surprises me. perhaps as a candle, you burn very brightly, my friend.

word has it that saara is now in town. if you would like, i will say hello on your behalf.

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home