Sunday, January 29, 2006

Hockey and the Day of Reckoning

Hi folks. Again, this post will not have any pictures, but not because I didn't take them. My camera batteries finally gave out (after nearly 150 pictures!), and because the charger has a plug with one prong slightly bigger than the other, it doesn't fit my home-made adapter. I'm looking to get another soon - only $4 on amazon dot com. However, something tells me the shipping will be 3 arms and 4 legs. So, no photos for a while.

So what did I do this weekend? Well, friday night was just working. Math, math, math. I met with Pekka on thursday, friday, and saturday! I guess we're making up for lost time. Anyway, I'm a little behind him when it comes to the technical aspects of the problem we're working on. This is to be expected; he is after all one of the most respected mathematicians in this field and total baller. So, I'm trying really hard to get up to speed. So saturday I spent most of the morning doing math, then met with Pekka at 3, and then went to a hockey game with Illka at 5. It was really cool - this one was the top Finnish league, and the match was between Jyväskylä's home team JYP and the first place team Kärpät. JYP got their butts kicked, losing 4-1. BUT there were CHEERLEADERS! At a hockey game! Lest you think that the Finns have completely lost their collective soul and have gone over to the Dark Side, these cheerleaders were not exactly typical american cheerleaders. For one thing, their outfits were not very revealing. But the really telling difference was that there were a couple of fat cheerleaders. GASP! Maybe the purpose of cheerleaders in Finland is not to be eye-candy, but instead to actually lead cheers?! Well, not exactly (there was a fan cheering section with drums and horns for that), but it was a little closer to that than in the states.

So, tomorrow is the day of reckoning. I've got a 2 hour study seminar to give at 10am (I'll be talking about Nagata Dimension again, for those in the know - the study seminar basically the same as the AnSS at michigan, so I figure I might as well recycle talks as well. Maybe I can get it right this time!). Then at 4pm I've got my first Finnish test. We'll see. In the meantime, Pekka has a prospective Ph.D. student coming to visit from Russia, but he can't be around, so I'm going to be playing host a little bit too. Should be fun, but maybe a little stressful.

Finnish phrase of the day: Kuinka vanha sun paras kaveri on? = How old is your best friend?

3 Comments:

Blogger Toby said...

Don't buy that plug adapter just yet, someone from the Suriname trip has about 20. I think Gabe took them all. I'll find one and send it to you.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Michael K. said...

Wow... I'm so glad I followed that link and saw that picture of the Finnish hockey cheerleader. I've never seen a girl that good-looking on a webpage that had so many vowels and consonants in such bizarre relationships to each other.

You'd better get an adapter from somebody soon, so I can keep on surveilling your stir-fry habits. Yummy broccoli!

10:26 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

wow thanks toby. that would be great. then i could once again work towards become the incredibly popular super-duper underground math-photog that am destined to be.

Mike-
Joo, mä tyykkäan cheerleaders myös!
Nothing like a little "Finglish"...

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home