Thursday, January 26, 2006

Got to admit it's getting better, getting better all the time...

So today was a good day! I woke up around 10. I had planned to get up at 8:30, but that didn't happen. I find that I'm really woozy in the morning. It's almost as though I'm sedated, and getting out of bed seems simply impossible until 10, even thought I went to sleep around midnight last night. Anyway, I got a call from Illke, my tutor, at 11 asking if I'd like to have lunch with him and his daughter, who is 4 years old (sä olet neljä vuotta vanha). Now, usually I think that little kids are noisy, smelly, and generally not good eating companions. But Emilia was really quite nice! She answered my pathetic attempts at asking her questions in Finnish and didn't yell, scream, or demand tons of attention. Plus, somehow a blond, blue-eyed little kid seems even more über-Nordic than a blond, blue-eyed grown-up, which is kind of interesting. I imagine her growing up to be some sort of Norse God :)

After that, I had some really productive conversations with Kai and Pekka. It's amazing how much better of a mood I'm in when math is going well. When I was playing a ton of trumpet, I had a similar phenomenon occuring: good trumpet day = happy kevin, bad trumpet day = sad kevin.

Here are some wonderful things about Finland
- grocery carts *actually work*. You can even turn them sideways on a dime, and there are never any weird unbalanced, off-kilter carts. And they are well-designed too, with a tall skinny compartment at one end for items that would otherwise fall over, like milk or cereal.
- one can purchase bicycle parts in the grocery store for cheap (a set of replacement brake pads = 1.50 €).
- cars stop at intersections for bikes and pedestrians, even when they don't have to.

I'm feeling much better health-wise today also. Hopefully the insurgency has been defeated...

2 Comments:

Blogger janus said...

It's amazing how much better of a mood I'm in when math is going well.

I know what you mean, all too well. \:

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kevin, as I do not know your email adress (I never get used to the finnish word ...) and am not sure if you look up your usa-universitys one, here are my comments on prosper:
Unfortunately, I cannot get access to my style files in Germany :(, but I remembered something about the "landscape/
portrait" Problem: I think it was a problem of the viewer, not of prosper. Some dvi- and some ps-viewer do not show the
right orientation, but if you convert ps into pdf (I used simply ps2pdf) everything worked out just fine.

Another thing is that prosper needs some extra packages: seminar, graphicx, pstricks and hyperref. I found this
information on this german reference site: http://www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/Frauen/Admina/Beitraege/prosper/ . Do
not be afraid, there might be some nice schemes about using prosper, where you do not need to understand much german

Some other english manuals are:
http://amath.colorado.edu/documentation/LaTeX/prosper/
http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/667/
http://www.math.umbc.edu/~rouben/prosper/

Maybe you know them already, then just forget about it.

Have fun and see you next monday.

Doris (finnish course student :))

PS: nice blog!

2:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home